I celebrated my birthday on Wednesday of this week... still alive at 25 and truly blessed. Despite the minuscule failures and disappointments I've experienced in my life, I have a lot to be thankful for. I reflect often, and I'm a firm believer in "everything happens for a reason". Too many of us complain about what we don't have without appreciating the things that we do have, things that others may not be fortunate enough to claim.
I give thanks every morning before starting my day, however, I've listed 25 materialistic and meaningful things that I'm thankful for below:
1. Jesus loved me enough to die on the cross for my sins. I finally found a church home to give him a weekly, joyful praise. Thank you.
2. My life was spared earlier this year. While driving the normal speed limit on 9A, I was forced to come to a complete stop. My car did a 180 degree turn and I ended up facing oncoming traffic. I closed my eyes while trying to gain control of the steering wheel and opened them to find all of the cars at least 2 feet away from me. I got off on the next exit and stopped at a nearby gas station to call my mom and tell her what happened. She answered the phone crying and told me that God flashed the moment before her. She was praying for me as it happened. Thank you.
3. It took me 2 years to move on from my first love... and then I met my Superman. Thank you.
4. My parents wouldn't let me get a car until I could afford to pay for one myself. I drove Boomsheka off the lot when I was 20 years old and I've never been late paying my car note. Thank you.
5. I was 12 years old when I lost my maternal grandfather. He loved all of his grandchildren equally, but I was the "obedient one" and he always made me feel like I was his favorite. It's because of him that I try so hard to lead by example. Thank you.
6. My paternal grandmother was admitted to the hospital on the day that I was scheduled to conduct my college orientation visit. She passed away a week later, the day after I graduated from high school. She never missed an opportunity to tell me how pretty I was, despite my unknown self-esteem and confidence issues. I look in the mirror and smile at my reflection every day because of her. Thank you.
7. My first roommate introduced me to Facebook my freshman year at FSU. My iWrite4orU company page now has 253 "Likes" and my client base is growing rapidly. Thank you.
8. My high school English teacher, Ms. Fletcher, encouraged me to pursue writing as a career. I majored in Creative Writing, graduated and became a Contributing Writer for EU Jacksonville Newspaper 3 months later, and I am now the Owner/President/CEO of my own writing company. Thank you.
9. My maternal grandmother birthed and raised 6 girls on her own. Those 6 girls gave her 13 grandchildren, whom she also helped mold and raise. Someday I'll be labeled as a strong Black woman, and I'll owe it all to her. Thank you.
10. My paternal grandfather attended most of my sporting events and recorded all of the play by play action with his video camera. Without his support, I'd lack the necessary motivation and drive to succeed, for the benefit of myself and others. Thank you.
11. I have 6 best friends. Some people aren't lucky enough to have one. They support me, encourage me, pray with me, laugh with me, cry with me, and most of all, they're honest with me. Thank you.
12. I'm healthy and wealthy with happiness. Thank you.
13. No cavities found during my last dentist visit. Thank you.
14. My insurance deductible is outrageously high, but I'm fully covered. Thank you.
15. I got my first relaxer when I was 8 years old. I went natural in January 2010. My hair is now growing long and strong. Thank you.
16. I have a full-time job that allows me to apply what I studied in college. I'm eager to clock in every single day. Thank you.
17. Music is life... Poetry is love. I wouldn't survive without either. Thank you.
18. I cherish my ability to read and write, well. All of my teachers and professors stressed the importance of communicating effectively and I took their words to heart. Thank you.
19. My cell phone is my lifeline. Without it, I'd be a disorganized procrastinator who couldn't remember a thing. Whoever invented its high-tech capabilities and functions, Thank you.
20. The Internet is my Heaven on earth. Google searches save me from ignorance daily. Thank you.
21. I'm finally able to add to my savings account, without subtracting frequently. Thank you.
22. I would have been a very lonely only child, but God gave me a brother. Thank you.
23. Gas prices are extremely high, but I can afford $40 per week to get from point A to point B. Thank you.
24. I have a roof over my head, a cozy bed, three meals a day and I survived long enough to say... Thank you.
25. You read all the way down to number 25 and you're still alive. Let us both say, "Thank you".
*Music is Life... Poetry is Love*